This online program will provide a full spectrum look into current practices of vapor intrusion mitigation system design and installation. The program will begin with a solid foundation of system design and a theoretical framework for functionality. Furthermore, it will delve into practical mitigation strategies along with the shortcomings of adapting antiquated inefficient design to modern mitigation systems in both retrofit and new construction scenarios. Below is a course outline.
- What is vapor intrusion?
- Existing building mitigation strategies
- What is sub slab depressurization (SSD)?
- The history of SSD
- SSD design techniques
- Mitigation system theory
- SSD installation strategies
- Mitigation fan selection and how to read fan curves
- Vapor Intrusion Guidance documents for existing buildings
- Reintroduction of SSD and radius of influence (ROI) theory Introduction to new construction mitigation techniques
- Factors that limit ROI in design
- Extending ROIs in new construction
- New Construction Guidance Documents
- Passive vs. active systems
- Vapor barrier selection
- Comparison of existing building vs. new construction mitigation
- Cost comparisons
- Monitoring options